Wednesday 8 May 2013

Day 8: A Pirate's Life for Me!

My first ever job was working at a kennels. I washed, walked and fed dogs, cats and the occasional rabbit, although less washing and walking was required for the latter species. But I was volunteering rather than being paid, so I’m not sure if it really counts.

I think I will write about a job that was more recent and less temporary, but felt to me like my first proper job. On reflecting about my experience with my sister, we came to the conclusion that the establishment could have easily been a Pirate Ship (I shall write about it as if it were such). The crew struck me as a rather dysfunctional family where everyone gossiped and complained about everyone else, but there’s a sense of  unspoken solidarity which comes from belonging to the same ship.  

And so, without further ado I shall regale to you a little about the mismatched members of the ship. Firstly there was the Captain, who was more interested in telling yarns and singing the crew sea shaties than actual 'Captaining'. That was left to the First Mate, who did all the real work and generally kept the ship afloat. He slightly resented the presence of the Captain’s mistress as well as the Captain's own lacklustre ways. The aforementioned lady was rather younger than the Captain, but much more determined and forthright. And even more than with the First Mate, she oftern came into conflict with the ship’s cook, who’s temper, when at work, was as short as his stature. When not cooking he was an amiable chap, but his temprament still contrasted against his large and gentle assistant. Lastly there were two identical cabin boys, who felt the most of the cook’s wrath but did most of the work!
 
So all in all, it was a very interesting experience!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...