Saturday 11 May 2013

Day 11: Lots of Books!


I love books. It’s not just reading them (although I enjoy that too!) but its having an object with two covers and filled with hundreds of paper sheets, or something about that at least that just makes me happy! Not really sure why! If I buy a new book I will read it open at some absurdly small angle, so as not to crease the spine. And enforce the same rules on members of family who borrow them, to their annoyance.  

Choosing my favourite book its rather an impossible task, so is limiting myself to five that have changed my life. But perhaps I shall revisit that topic when I have had more time to think about it. So I shall rather overstep the five book limit and talk briefly about some of my favourites. Although really they each deserve a post to themselves.

Even with possibly-my-favourite-book I can’t seem to limit myself to one. So ‘The Lord of the Rings’ will have to do. If I was forced to choose I think it would be ‘Book Three’ (as in the first part of ‘The Two Towers’). I find the story of ‘The three hunters’ much more exciting and less emotionally draining than Frodo and Sam’s quest.


‘The Little white Horse’ is another book that I love. I’m one of those annoying people who will be upset at any minute detail that has been omitted when a book is transferred to the screen; its not another ‘interpretation’ of the story that I want to see, I want to see the book come to life. But surely even someone less picky would feel that the heart of the book was lost somehow in the film.
 
 
 
Similarly so with the adaptation of the ‘Wolves of Willouby Chase’ which was awfully nightmarish. But back to the book, as in 'The Little White Horse', I loved the characters, and the happy endings all round!
 

 

The same can be said for ‘White Boots’ by Noel Streatfield.
 

It is due a re-read, but the ‘Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society’ is another full of characters that you just want more of. Thinking about it, it’s the loveable characters that make a book so dear to me. I just want to witness more of their stories, more of their lives.
 
 
Like in Lousia Alcott’s books. I’m particularly fond of ‘Jo’s Boys’, I suppose because it is so satisfying to see the characters grow up and develop.

 
Another of Alcott’s that I really love is ‘Eight Cousins’. Which also has a sequel, although as with ‘Jo’s Boys’ discovering the future can be as heart-breaking as it is exciting.



And another loved book…‘The children of the New Forest’. Set during the civil war, tells of four Cavalier children, saved from being burnt alongside their property learn to live off the Forest till the return of their King. But my sleepy state can’t seem to recall why I love it so much.

 
And because it is impossible to limit myself, here as some more of my favourite reads: ‘Heidi’; the ‘Anne of Green Gables’ series; the Harry Potter series, I think ‘The Prisoners of Azkaban’ and ‘The Deathly Hallows are my favourites; ‘The Starlight Barking’; ‘A little Princess’; ‘The Hunger Games’ (and sequels); ‘Northanger Abbey’ etc. etc.; Laura Ingalls Wilder’s novels, ‘The Long Winter’ possibly being my favourite; ‘Milly Molly Mandy’; ‘’Ballet Shoes’; ‘The Girls in the Velvet Frame’; ‘The last Battle’ (I love all the Narnia Books, but perhaps it’s the satisfaction of an ending that appeals to me most?); ‘The Railway Children’; ‘Wildflower Girl’ and whilst sad I would also recommend the prequel and sequel; the ‘Katy’ books, my favourite being ‘What Katy did at School’, so I’m not sure why I photographed ‘What Katy did Next’!; and lastly, anything written by Georgette Heyer!

 
That last comment is an over exaggeration, as I have only read her Georgian romances, which are frivolous, light hearted, incredibly funny and I can’t recommend them enough.

So what can be learnt from this long and not very informative (or interesting) post, on a topic that deserves to be revisited? That I like characters, and finding out what happens to them after the story has ended, have lots of favourite books but can’t put in to words why they are such, and that I find it impossible to choose between them! Oh, and also that I still can’t spell favourite…thank goodness for spell check!

If you had to recommend a single book to read, what would it be? (Not that I would be able to complete that task!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...